What is it to be gluten free?
To be gluten free, simply means to not eat foods containing gluten. Gluten is commonly found in pastas, crackers, seasonings and breads (mostly wheat, rye and barley). There are two reasons why people don’t eat gluten, either due to having a gluten intolerance, or simply through lifestyle choice.
Those intolerant to gluten are known as Coeliacs. This is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system attacks itself once gluten is consumed. The lining of the gut becomes damaged and unable to absorb nutrients from food. This is different to gluten sensitivity in which people suffer symptoms similar to coeliac disease but there is no damage to the lining of the gut.
So what are the benefits to a gluten free diet?
(Coeliac or not)
- Reduced bloating
- Reduced inflammation
- Improved energy levels
- Improved concentration
- Ease of bowel symptoms (also reduced flatulence)
- Weight regulation (the disease can make you gain or lose weight)
- Improved nutrient absorption – the lining of your gut will improve and be able to absorb nutrients
What can be used as a gluten alternative?
- Bulgur – Rice
- Ovaltine – Cocoa
- Semolina – Polenta
- Couscous – Quinoa
- Cereal – Corn Flakes
- Beer – Gluten Free Beer
- Bread – Gluten Free Bread
- Granola – Gluten Free Granola Mix
- Wheat Bran – Gluten Free Oat Bran
- Pasta – Rice, Buckwheat, Millet, Corn Noodles
- Flour – Chestnut/Coconut/Hemp/Chickpea/Soy/Almond Flour
Now you’re more informed about what a gluten free diet entails and have gluten free alternatives, we hope that you can make an informed decision of what foods will benefit you and your health.
All Solo shakes are gluten free and free from all allergens, you can see our different flavours here.